Best winter activities in Turku
What’s fun about winter in Turku? Read below for some cool ideas!
At wintertime, the snow-covered River Aura is a magical sight, both during a clear, frosty day as well as at night. Take a stroll and warm up in the cafes and restaurants that you pass by. Or pick up a cup of hot chocolate and cinnamon bun - a classic Finnish treat!
Another walk you must try out is on Ruissalo, through the beautiful nature of Turku’s island national park, covered in a snowy blanket. Stop into Ruissalo’s wonderful winter cafes in between enjoying the amazing scenery.
Winter swimming is a fantastic example of Finnish madness. It’s a perfect representation of the famous resilience that flows through our Nordic veins. We fear not plunging into an icy hole, nor the frozen and pitch-black water below – quite the opposite, Finns actually enjoy it and look forward to the experience!
From the freezing water, we dash to another crazy pastime - sweating in a small room, more commonly known as a sauna. And here’s the method to our madness! Baking steam-baths in between icy dips is the key to the whole experience.
The health benefits of winter swimming are surprisingly many. Some of these are well-researched and factually based, whilst others are simply folklore or the experiences of individuals.
• Wellbeing - Winter swimming actually increases the production of happiness hormones such as dopamine and endorphin. (Maybe this is the reason why Finland is such a happy nation?)
• Speeds up the metabolism - Activates brown fat and the processing of waste products.
• Refreshing - Like throwing ice cold water on your face, but a full body version.
• Helps with pain - Cold treatment relieves pain and relaxes muscles.
• ZZZZZZ - The quality of sleep improves.
Turun Saarten Talviuintiseura Assoc.
Harjattulantie 80, Turku
Masku Jääkarhut Assoc.
Maskuntie 248, Masku
Saaronniemi Saukot Assoc.
Tammirannantie 39, Ruissalo
Turun Avantouimarit Assoc.
Ispoinen Beach (also known as Uittamo beach)
Rykmentintie 51, Turku
Turun Posti & Lennätinurheilijat Assoc.
Saarontie 59, Turku
Text by Jemina Sormunen and Susanna Pietilä
Images provided by Visit Turku, Villa Järvelä, Turun Avantouimarit, Mika Okko and Riikka Vesander
Published | Updated